Sunday 16 November 2008

My Protege - Project Hoff




Whilst I've decided to take a leap of faith, hand my game over to the 'pros' to work on, help in my development as a player and give me back the edge that I once had, I in turn thought about how I could use my ability to help someone with less experience.

I decided to work with a Friend (Alex) who is a keen poker player on a recreational level. He phoned me up recently and asked my advise on what books to read, DVDs to buy and where to gain the information to improve his game.

Alex was playing on William Hill poker and playing in games that to be fair he was under rolled for and that were above his skill level, to make matters worse Alex seems to love playing volume intensive sessions and his account with William Hill did not have any sort of rake back deal set up.

The first thing I did was point Alex in the direction of a free poker training site where there were a huge amount of free tutorial videos that he could watch and learn from. The next thing was to get him a rake back deal, so I pointed him in the direction of my rakeback provider ( www.tagpoker.co.uk) and through them he decided on www.fulltilt.com that has plenty of games going so that he could practice good table selection. Once signed up I asked Alex to save his hand history (every hand he plays, sounds like a pain in the arse but it's literally a couple of clicks to set up) and play loads of poker so that i could review his game and see where I could help.

A couple of weeks in Alex had played about 12,500 hands at Full Tilt Poker which was enough to give me an insight to his fundamentals and style of play. Straight off the bat I could see that Al had sound reason for a lot of his plays but found himself in lots of marginal situations coupled with a tremendous amount of aggression and the desire to really study the game, I knew I could help out straight away.

I plugged about six major leaks in his game and cut out all marginal situations for the time being
(that was all that I had time to do in our initial2.5 hour session). I now have his entire Poker Tracker data base and will be sure to find more spots where we can make even more money. I'm going to post his before and after graphs so far and continue to help, shape and monitor his progress until he is ready to move to higher stakes, where more qualified coaches will be waiting to help him.

The first Graph is Alex before I got involved and the second is after our 2.5 hour initial session.

No comments: